Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras
Like Micro Four Thirds cameras, the cameras featured here are mirrorless and take interchangeable lenses. However, many have sensors the same size as those found in digital single lens reflex cameras and are 50% larger than M43 sensors. They offer DSLR image quality and high ISO performance despite the fact that their bodies are not much larger than most compacts.
A new breed of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras has recently emerged. They have much smaller sensors than other cameras in this class. They will appeal to point-and-shooters who want the ease-of-use plus a bit better image quality than most compacts.
All the performance of a DSLR in about half the size and half the weight. Features include: 16.1 megapixel APS-C sized sensor, up to 10 fps shooting, AVCHD™ 1080/60p or 24p HD movies, APS-C size HD image sensor, Sweep Panorama mode, Auto HDR, Live View, Tiltable 3.0″ LCD (touch-sensitive, 921,600 dots), E-mount 18-55mm lens. It is ultra-responsive, with very fast release time lag and quick, responsive autofocus. Unlike the Sony NEX-7, the NEX-5n has few external buttons and controls.
- Dimensions: Approx. 4-3/8 × 2-3/8 × 1-9/16″ (110.8 x 58.8 x 38.2mm) excluding protrusions
- Weight: Approx. 9.5 oz (269g) with battery & memory card
Model Features: 24.3MP, up to 10 fps shooting, AVCHD™ 1080/60p/60i/24p HD movies, APS-C size HD image sensor, Sweep Panorama, Auto HDR, built-in TTL electronic viewfinder, hot shoe E-mount 18-55mm lens. It has a tilting 3” LCD (921,600 dots) and enough buttons and controls to delight photo enthusiasts and professional photographers, including Tri-Navi control that provide three separate control dials for direct, hands-on access to three settings at a time.
- Dimensions: Approx. 4-3/4 × 2-3/4 × 1-11/16″ (119.9 x 66.9 x 42.8mm) excluding protrusions
- Weight: Approx. 10.3 oz (291g) excluding battery & memory card
The Nikon J1 is a highly compact and portable interchangeable lens camera. Its compact size is due, in part, to having a smaller sensor* than most other mirrorless cameras. It has a responsive autofocus system and super fast shooting speed. The camera can snap photos while recording HD movies. Nikon offers compact, lightweight 1 Nikkor lenses that are compatible with the J1. The camera (and lenses) are available in black, white, red and pink.
- 10 megapixel CMOS sensor
- Sensor Size: 13.2mm x 8.8mm
- ISO: 100-3200; 6400
- Top Continuous shooting speed at full resolution: 5 fps; 10, 30 or 60 fps using Electronic (Hi) shutter
- Approx. weight: 8.3oz. (234g) camera body only
See also: Nikon V1
* The Nikon 1 sensor is four times larger than those found in most compacts and 2 1/2 times larger than the 1/1.7″ sensors used in many high-end compacts.