If looking for expert help when purchasing a digital camera, particularly first time buyers, consider buying a local camera shop.
You can’t beat the personalized service and help from someone who knows cameras like the back of their hand.
Digital cameras may cost more at a local camera shop but it is often worth it for the service you get in return. A merchant may even lower the price a little if you ask, so don’t be bashful!
Advantages of buying at a local camera shop
- no waiting, get the camera right away
- personalized service
- easier to check reliability and reputation of the merchant
- hold camera in your hand to get a feel for the ergonomics
- knowledgeable personnel can help answer questions and are often willing to continue to do so after purchase
- dealer may handle warranty and repair work
- usually do not have a restocking charge if you return the camera within a given time
Disadvantages of buying at a local camera shop
- price for a camera and accessories can be higher
- merchant may not have a variety of items in stock
- brands and camera selection may be limited
- more time and effort to comparison shop
- pay local sales tax