The Canon Powershot G12 is a premium compact digital camera that has many features found on digital single lens reflex cameras. They include:
- 10 megapixel, 1/1.7″ High-sensitivity CCD sensor – According to Canon because of the sensor and processor, the G12 is “dramatically more sensitive than cameras with identical megapixel counts, and delivers spectacular images with minimal noise.”
- Wide to mid-telephoto zoom lens: 28-140mm equivalent (5X)
- SmartAuto mode, full manual mode, semi-automatic and scene modes
- Aperture range: f/2.8-4.5
- Total Shutter Speed range: 15 – 1/4000 sec.
- ISO range: 80 – 3200 (up to ISO 12,800 at 2.5MP)
- 2.8” variable LCD with wide-viewing angle; 461,000 dots
- Optical viewfinder with diopter correction
- Hybrid Image stabilization that compensates for angular and shift camera shake, particularly useful when taking close up shots
- Front control dial similar to those found on some Canon DSLRs
- Built-in flash but also has an hot shoe for an accessory flash
- RAW + JPEG image modes.
- Shoot 720p HD video in stereo sound
- High Dynamic Range scene mode combines multiple shots into one picture showing greater image detail – requires use of a tripod
- Built-in neutral density filter
- Electronic level that checks the camera level on-screen
- Tracking Autofocus
- SDXC memory card compatibility
The Canon G12 can use a wide variety of optional accessories such Speedlite external flashes, underwater housing, filter adapters and tele-converter lenses.