When I bought the NEX-3, even though it had been on the market for several months, it had firmware version 01. It was not until after I returned the camera that I learned Sony issued an important firmware update.
The update significantly, and I mean significantly, improves the user interface.
If you buy a Sony NEX, one of the first things you should do is the check the version of the firmware. Then check the Sony site to make sure you have the latest. If not, install it.
According to Sony, firmware version 03 provides the following benefits:
- Adds “Soft key Settings” to the “Setup” menu to allow customization of the soft keys
- Adds the “Menu start” function
- Adds two more settings to the “MF Assist” function
- Improves menu item selection using the Control Wheel
- Changes the aperture setting function so the setting is maintained when using “Background Defocus Control” or “Aperture Priority” movie recording modes
- Adds support for auto focus with supported A-mount lenses
- Adds a function to enlarge the image when “Release w/o Lens” is set to “Enable”
Benefits provided by version 02 and included in version 03:
- Adds the 3D Sweep Panorama function
- Improves the Sweep Panorama function
- Resolves an issue where the battery may be drained even if the camera is turned off
- Reduces start-up time under low light conditions
Follow firmware installation instructions
Make sure you carefully follow the firmware update installation instructions listed at the Sony website.
Source: Sony support